Frank Grimes Disc Golf Course
September 23, 2023
Ronald D. Lehman Community Park, Channahon
Held during the 36th Channahon Classic Disc Golf Tournament
The Park District Board of Commissioners approved the naming of the disc golf course at Community Park to the Frank Grimes Disc Golf Course on May 15, 2023.
The Channahon Park District is immensely grateful to Frank Grimes (September 15, 1946-April 15, 2023) for making the disc golf course what it is today. Frank’s vision for the course began 20 years ago. Through the years he has donated more than $20,000 and volunteered more than 20,000 hours creating the most beautiful disc golf course in the area. It is rare to see someone so dedicated and passionate to one particular course.
Some of the course improvements Frank has made include:
- Built all the benches throughout the course.
- Designed and built the iconic elevated basket on hole #4, including raising the land building the J-Town wooden hole mount.
- Designed and built the retaining walls on holes #11, #12 & #14, including raising the land on these holes.
- Planted over 200 trees and bushes, some of which are now over 100 feet tall!
- Planted hundreds of flowers and seeded many of the holes which he watered by hand.
- Cleared larger fairways throughout the course.
In addition to Frank’s dedication to the District’s disc golf course, he was also quite accomplished in the sport. Some of his accomplishments include:
- 2006 Advanced Senior Grandmaster Amateur Disc Golf World Champion (winning by 18 strokes)
- 1st Am Grand Master – 26th Illinois State Disc Golf Championships
- 1st MG1 13th Channahon Classic 2000
- 1st MG1 14th Channahon Classic 2001
- 1st MG1 17th Channahon Classic 2004
- 1st MS1 23rd Channahon Classic 2010
- 1st MS1 25th Channahon Classic 2012
- 1st MSI – 28th Illinois State Disc Golf Championships 2010
- 1st MSI – 29th Illinois State Disc Golf Championships 2011
- 1st MSI – 30th Illinois State Disc Golf Championships 2012
- 1st MSI -31st Illinois State Disc Golf Championships 2013
- 2010 Gary Lewis Achievement Award recipient.
- Helped establish the J-Town Disc Golf Club
- Frank was the original Vice President for several years.
- The J-Town Disc Golf Club recently donated and installed new baskets at Community Park
- Started the J-Town Disc Golf Handicap League in 2010 called Frank & Beans Handicap League. The league is still running every Tuesday from April – September.
- Helped start and run the J-Town Disc Golf Club Ice Bowl from 2010-2016 at Community Park. He would go on to raise over $20,000.00 for charities (Morningstar Mission)
18 Hole Course located in Community Park Open Daily Dawn to Dusk Weather Permitting
Ever throw a frisbee? Then you can play Disc Golf! Players use a disc to ‘drive’, ‘chip’ and ‘putt’ into an elevated basket to complete each hole. The course winds through the natural areas of Community Park. People of all ages can enjoy the outdoors and view the plantings and wildlife found in the park while playing disc golf. Concrete tee surfaces allow for a quality year round disc golf experience.
Check out how to play Disc Golf here!