Channahon Park District Inclusion Policy
The Channahon Park District complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Channahon Park District Staff Members will make reasonable accommodations as defined in the ADA to facilitate participation in, or attendance of, Park District programs and activities for those with disabilities. Those interested in such opportunities should contact Park District Recreation Staff at (815) 467-7275 in advance to discuss the need for accommodation, and how the accommodation can best be made if warranted.
In addition, the Channahon Park District has entered into an agreement with the Special Recreation of Joliet and Channahon (SRJC) to offer recreation programs to residents with special needs. Information on programming available through SRJC is available by contacting their office at (815) 740-7275.
Special Recreation of Joliet & Channahon (SRJC)
Click here for the most up to date information on SRJC programs
Special Recreation of Joliet & Channahon (SRJC) is a cooperative extension of the Joliet and Channahon Park Districts, and provides year-round recreation activities for individuals who wish to participate in alternative Park District programs. These programs are designed to help participants who have physical or mental disabilities, sensory impairments, or any other type of disability, to develop leisure skills, independent living skills, and motor skills.
The Joliet Park District supports the rights of people with special needs to participate in any program. An adult or child must adhere to the guidelines of that particular program. The Joliet Park District believes that all members of the community are entitled to have equal leisure opportunities. For information on the inclusion process, please contact SRJC at 815-741-7275 ext. 175. Any accommodations and expectations will be discussed prior to the start of a program.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The Joliet Park District complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability.
Transportation for residents is provided for some programs. Masks are required in park district vehicles.
Participant Eligibility Requirements
- Ability to maintain a 6-foot physical distance from other participants and staff
- Ability to properly put on, wear, and take off a face covering when necessary, for the duration of the program
- Independent personal care (i.e. hygiene, toileting, feeding)
- Ability to follow verbal direction.
- Ability to participate at a 1:4 ratio (Staff:Participant)
Please contact the SRJC office for the most current guidelines regarding in-person programming.
- Review the Participant Eligibility Requirements for In Person Programming.
- Register for programs.
- Staff will review registration and contact participant/guardian if there are any questions regarding the participant’s ability to follow the eligibility and safety guidelines.
- Submit the Annual Information Form and Wellness Screening Form to the SRJC office before the start of programs.
SRJC is always looking for volunteers who have a desire to work with special needs individuals. If you would like to be a part of our team, please contact SRJC at 815-741-7275 ext. 160.