Tomahawk Aquatic Center
Closed for the season
24868 W Eames Street, Channahon
Last Day to Swim – August 15, 2021
Why are we closing Tomahawk Aquatic Center before Labor Day this year?
- Last winter when the dates for the season were set we were planning on starting construction at Tomahawk Aquatic Center immediately following August 15 in order to have the improvements completed before the 2022 season. Earlier this summer we discovered we are eligible to apply for an OSLAD Grant for up to $400,000 to help offset construction costs in 2022. There is no guarantee we will be awarded the grant but we have received this grant in the past. We believe we have a good chance at receiving one for 2022 making it worthwhile to delay the project one year and pursue the grant as it will be such a significant savings to our residents.
- As many other businesses are being affected by the labor shortage the Park District has not been immune. In order to safely open Tomahawk Aquatic Center there is a minimum number of certified lifeguards required by the Illinois Department of Public Health. We have been unable to find enough lifeguards available to safely open after August 15. Nearly all of our lifeguards will be either returning to college or have fall activity commitments at high school after August 15, the date they were given as their end date when hired last spring.
There is something for everyone from water bugs to land lubbers at Tomahawk Aquatic Center:
- A zero depth pool gradually sloping to a depth of 3 ½ feet.
- Lap lanes measuring 4 ½ to 5 feet deep, 25 yards long, with 6 lanes
- Water Play features in the zero depth area and in a separate spray pool for tots.
- Deck area with chaise chairs and a grass sunning hill.
- Sand volleyball court and an exciting sand play area for children.
- A water slide that is 21 feet high and 150 feet long
- Fully equipped bathhouse
- Concession stand and dining area
Hours & Daily Admission Fees
|Swim Session||Time||Days||Admission (nonresidents)/ Resident Discount|
|Day Time Public Swim||12 Noon-5 PM||7 Days a Week
|Evening Public Swim||6:30pm-8:30 PM||M-TH||$7/$5|
Tomahawk Aquatic Center will be open June 5 – August 15, 2021
Before you visit, please note
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated when on the deck and not actively engaged in swimming activities.
- Sand play area and splash pad will be closed this summer.
- Everyone in the swimming pool must wear a swimsuit. No street clothes, including leotards, colored t-shirts or cut-offs.
- To keep our water safe: All children who are not toilet trained shall wear tightly fitting plastic pants over an approved water diaper. Diapers are available for purchase at the pool for $1, plastic pants are $2.
- A concession stand is available during day time public swim and special events for your convenience. No outside food or beverages are allowed to be brought into the facility. If you bring food you are welcome to picnic in Central Park adjacent to the Aquatic Center.
- Young non-swimmers must be supervised by an adult that is within an arms length at all times.
- Adult supervision is required for everyone at the facility under the age of 12. Proof of age must be shown for youth attending without an adult. A special ID card may be obtained at Arrowhead Community Center.
- Only floatation aids such as life jackets/puddle jumpers with a visible US Coast Guard Certified stamp are allowed in the facility.
- Life jackets/puddle jumpers are not allowed on the slides.
- No floatation toys allowed at swim swim sessions.
- Everyone entering facility will be charged admission.
- Swim muscles are not allowed.
Look for a complete set of rules posted at Tomahawk Aquatic Center
We will have assorted snacks available for purchase daily at day time public swims 12:00-5:00pm.
Pool Closing Policies
- Inclement Weather – When the weather falls below 70 degrees or when storms threaten safety.
- Swimming is prohibited when lightning is present; including a 30-minute period after the last lightening is sighted. If the pool is closed due to rain and the weather we will attempt to re-open the pool in a reasonable timeframe. Other wise the pool will remain closed until the next open swim time. Swim Lessons will still be held.
- Low Attendance – When there is less than 40 people at the pool the pool will remain open but the slide will close. When there is less than 20 people at the pool by 2:00pm the facility will close.
- Safety Hazards – When a situation arises that would jeopardize the public health of those in attendance.
- The pool manager has the authority to make the decision to close the pool for any of the above reasons.
- No rain checks will be issued in 2021.